- There are 5 equal sections each worth 20 value points
- 5 points are automatically earned if you practice a section
- 5 points are deducted if you skip a section
- Extra Credit is possible
- YOUR GOAL IS TO BE CREATIVE!
- We recommend always starting with the section I Warm-Ups so that your body and ears are ready for anything
- Try and do at least one activity from each section
- Strive for 100 points on all the days you eat!
- Use your Southside Studio Practice Book to help you keep track of points!
I. Warm Ups 20 points total
- Greet your instrument
- Tuning/ Long Tones
- Open Strings
- Scales and Arpeggios
- 1, 2, 3, or 4 octaves
- Rhythms or bowing patterns
- Exercises, Studies, or Etudes
- Bow Arm Development
- Left Hand Dexterity
- Musicality, Expression, and Style
- Blues Scale
- Free improvisation!
- Explore extended techniques!
II. Review Music 20 points total
- Three Most Recent Pieces
- Retention of Pitch, Rhythm, and Bowings (Stage 1)
- Expression, Dynamics, and Musical Bow Distribution (Stage 2)
- Performance Ready Repertoire (Stage 3)
- Comfortable with Piano
- Confident and effortless delivery
III. New Music 20 points total
- New Challenges and New Repertoire
- Challenge Spots
- New technique
- New Code, Fingering, Shift or Key Change
- Work with metronome to gain fluency
- Play everyday
- Review Spots
- Play from memory as soon as possible
- Improve tempo and clarity
- New to you Music should be listened to everyday
- Study with your part
- Study with a score (piano part of full orchestral score - IMSLP!)
- Record yourself playing
- Same spot everyday
- Favorite Music Clips
- Performance Piece
IV. Ensemble Music 20 points total
- Prepare by listening
- Know where the problem spots are ahead of time (don’t learn these in rehearsal!)
- Make notes of sections the conductor has mentioned that need attention
- Ask your teacher for their advice on specific problem spots
- seek out a recording or video (use quality control!)
V. Solo Music 20 points total
- Upcoming Concert Dates Schedule
- always have a goal or several!
- Service through Music Volunteering
- music is healing! Offer it freely!
- Good to hear new perspectives!
- mock auditions
- Summer Programs and Intensives
- deadlines and audition material